1 - Genome Assembly and Evolutionary Genomics
A postdoctoral position is available immediately at the Computational Genomics and Bioinformatics Group in the Department of Computer Engineering in Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey. The position is joint with the Somel Lab of the Department of Biological Sciences in Middle East Technical University.
The successful candidate will be responsible for leading a project that involves de novo assembly and further analysis of the genome of pearl mullet (Chalcalburnus tarichi). The pearl mullet is the only fish (and the only vertebrate) that lives in Lake Van in eastern Turkey, and it shows remarkable adaptation to the saline and extremely alkaline (pH 9.8) lake water. The genetic and physiological mechanisms underlying this unique trait, as well as the pearl mullet’s population structure, remain unknown. The project will include the following steps:
- De novo assembly and the annotation of the pearl mullet genome using both Illumina and Pacific Biosciences data.
- Comparative genomics analysis to understand the evolution of the Cyprinidaefamily and adaptive evolution of the pearl mullet.
- Transcriptome analysis for genome annotation; identification of gene expressionnetworks underlying adaptation to alkaline water.
- Population genomics analysis of samples from different sections of the lake tounderstand the pearl mullet’s migration and breeding patterns and population history.
- Ph.D. degree in bioinformatics, genomics, computer science, or related fields. Ph.D. candidates who expect to graduate soon are welcome to apply.
- Experience in genome assembly and annotation is strongly preferred.
- Experience in evolutionary genetics, population genomics, or transcriptome analysis is a plus.
- Strong programming skills in at least one high level programming language;such as C, C++, Java, or Python.
Applicants should email a cover letter, CV, brief research statement and list of 3 references to Dr. Can Alkan (email@example.com), or Dr. Mehmet Somel (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please combine all files into a single PDF and use the subject line “Postdoc Application (Pearl Mullet): (name)”.
2 - Combinatorial optimization, sequence analysis algorithms, and graph theory:A postdoctoral position is available immediately for multiple projects that involve combinatorial optimization, sequence analysis algorithms, and graph theory. The main project will involve discovery and characterization of genomic variation using high throughput sequence data, however there may be other projects that might need minor contributions. Successful applicant will also have a chance to contribute to many international consortiums including the 1000 Genomes Project and will be involved in other international collaborations.
- Ph.D. degree in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, or mathematics with strong background in combinatorial algorithm design. Ph.D. candidates who expect to graduate soon are welcome to apply.
- Experience in bioinformatics research is strongly preferred.
- Strong skills in high level programming languages, Linux operating systems and shell scripting. Proficiency in C/C++ is a must.
- Our group has several large-scale collaborative efforts, and
interested candidates must be able to work closely with
international teams of scientists with broad areas of expertise.
Please check back later.